Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sitrep: So Far...

Well, I've got to admit to some confusion. It's Day 6 of my new elimination diet, and, as of yesterday, I was assuming that it wasn't bearing any fruit. The weekend was actually somewhat nice - horrible pain in the morning and evening, but I did get a few waking hours off in the afternoon to actually have some time to myself (pity it couldn't have been time that Eden was home). Yesterday was agonizing; woke up in pain at 3:30 am, and the darn thing didn't quit until 6pm - I was quite afraid that I'd bounced right into another multi-day cycle. All of this could easily be part of my normal variations in cycle; when I'm in the headache every day mode, it tends to shift by a bit off of a static 24 hour cycle, scrolling earlier or later at a whim, but generally somewhat stable.

Today, however, I woke up dizzy and nauseous, but with quite minimal pain. Still within the purview of my normal variation, but it seems to be tapering off somewhat, and I don't appear to be too very photophobic.

Long story short, I don't know where I'm at, but I guess there's something to be said for lack of negative confirmation. I'll be sticking to this diet (and lusting madly after soda and normal food - it probably doesn't help that I've been spending at least a little of my "useless" time reorganizing ebooks, and that I'm now in the cooking section) for another week or so, then will evaluate whether further investigation of allergy potentials is warranted.

Secondary thought: I did get a letter to the effect that I'm confirmed for being able to drop my useless nurse practitioner from the VA. The not so great news is that they've just switched me to a different NP. While I certainly have hope that the new one is going to be more useful and professional, part of the reason I had petitioned for the change was to get to an actual doctor; my understanding of the nurse practitioner program is that they are intended largely to handle the bulk of the "normal" cases; flus, upset stomachs, and the like, while freeing up the full MDs to handle the more esoteric cases, like mine. Ah well; it would be hard to have her be worse than the last.

The new Gabapentin hasn't arrived yet, so no news on how that's working. I'll keep you folks updated when I have more news.

Best wishes to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment