Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nostalgia and such

So yeah... it's been over 3 months since this blog has seen a post, and that's totally my fault. There's this funny psychological thing that both Eden and I do; oftentimes if a thing can't be done "right" (or at least as we would wish), it doesn't get done at all. Thus, the many, many times I've thought of this blog over those same months and the increasingly insurmountable amount of catchup that would be required to bring things current here - it's just gotten thrown to the back burner repeatedly, to the point that doing it properly would not only be incredibly intimidating, it's probably also impossible at this point.

Suffice to say, those last three months are probably not going to get filled in in over much detail here, although I will be fleshing out a bit later. The bottom line is that one purpose this blog serves is to let me remember things, as well as share them with others - letting the backlog stop me from posting at all isn't serving either of those purposes.

As a (very) quick summary, we've had a pretty decent time, as a family, during those months - even getting a chance to escape to Minnesota for a bit in late December. My migraines have been continuing to increase in intensity and frequency, to the point of complete incapacitation, some days. On the plus side, I had my first appointment with the veterans administration this past Monday to start getting some of that sorted out, hopefully. As part of that process, I've been culling old notes, bills, and emails to try and establish both a timeline and a list of doctors/hospitals/etc to call to bring records together at one central point. I'm not even close to done (of course, one of the mental tickers I had set for updating here was finishing with that), but it has me feeling quite nostalgic, and has me thinking a lot of people that I've fallen out of touch with, among other things. As a kind of strange bonus round, the last time I visited my parents, my mom managed to find a couple of storage containers I had thought I'd lost among my many moves over the past decade, which contained several thousand physical photos of family and friends. I've been (slowly) scanning them into digital form, and will probably continue to do so for months to come, as it's a horribly annoying process to run through repeatedly (something like a full minute per photo to prescan, scan, crop, adjust, name, and move on to the next), but at the same time kind of cool.

In any case, I've grabbed another identity at Flickr specifically to share these photos with friends and family, especially since there are photos in there of people we've lost to time. As soon as I upload the first batch there, I'll post a link here (probably in the next couple of days) - while the scans I post publicly on Flickr will have a copyright notice, of course, I'd be happy to send the original scans to friends or family if you let me know what you'd like a copy of - some of the photos may not even be mine (I'll mark as such when I know, but with my memory...). There are fragments of time in there that are just too precious to lose.

Anyway, that's where we're at right now - I can't promise that going back to daily posts is likely to happen, but I'm planning to at least keep the blog alive, and there will be more to come when I have a moment to catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment