Monday, April 26, 2010

Daily Post (Josh) 2010-04-25

Well, it appears that this is a day of extremes. Pretty darn good day, followed by an evening of cruddy news.

Earlier today I launched my site at Http://Jbyram.smugmug.com as an outlet for people to purchase prints and products featuring my work, which may allow me to recoup at least some of the cash and time I've put in to photography over the past year or so. Initial reactions seem to be pretty positive, which is encouraging. Honestly, I'm not expecting to make it into the black this year after working the finances for Eden's business and my own failed Black Cat Sales a few years back - most businesses don't turn a profit for the first few years of operation. I'll just be thrilled if I manage to get close, and get some good word of mouth going from satisfied customers.

It's actually been pretty interesting, prepping and rendering photos for this project over the last few weeks - the difference in the level of quality I've been putting out is pretty visible, to my eye, comparing month to month. While it's very encouraging to see that kind of improvement, it does mean that there's not much that meets my current standard in the older pics. That's ok though - it'll give me an excuse to spend more time with the people I'm lacking adequate pictures of.

The downside of the day actually stemmed from this, a bit. Tim wrote me late in the day to inquire about some pictures of Dolphin, our family cat, that had made it to Flickr, but not to the new site, as I'd intended to see about getting some better pictures of him the next time I visit home.

Sadly, this simply isn't going to happen. As it turns out, Dolphin's body is finally failing him, and he'll be visiting the vet for a final time, tomorrow. He's an older cat, and it's time, but it's just crushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment