Saturday, February 6, 2010

Daily Post (Josh) 2010-02-03

School was a bit vicious today; the A&P quiz seemed to go pretty well, but my medical terminology mid term was a (comparative) nightmare. I don't think I actually did too bad on it, but there were three terms on it that I had literally never seen!

I should probably explain that last bit; Dr. Torres is a fabulous teacher, on the balance, but he does have one bad habit that drives me up the wall. Essentially, it's a problem of pacing. He tends to dither around on subtopics that aren't horribly relevant to the tested material for a good portion of the period, then rush madly through the last 10 minutes or so of class, often switching slides faster than my 90 wpm typing speed can keep up.

For all that that irritates me, it does have an outlet; whenever he does that, I can go to the book (which is a massive volume!) and pick up the terms that I didn't quite manage to get down.

The tactical problem here is that all three terms came out of chapters where he did take his time and I got all of the terms he had on screen typed up and defined... and thus assumed that those were all of the terms in the chapter, which had been his practice prior. Unfortunately, these were simply ones he never bothered to touch on.

In any case, Josh, Jen and I made a point of taking some time to lift spirits in the evening, electing to shake the dust off of Josh's poker set. Other than realizing that we currently know far too few poker variants, it was pretty awesome to get back in the swing of things; I think it's been years since I last played. Interesting, too, to see how well we could read one another - I think Jen was more than a little disappointed in a few tactical withdrawals when the cards didn't turn our way. I think Munchkin is going to have a little competition, when it comes to deciding what game to goof off with.

No comments:

Post a Comment