Friday, February 12, 2010

Daily Post (Josh) 2010-02-11

Art 207 - Assignment 5 - PersuasionVery frustrated today. Spent numerous hours trying to bring together my project for photography class in a way that matched the design in my head, but it just didn't turn out quite as neat as I had thought it was going to. I may lay claim to the title of photographer, but I'll never be an artist.... still not at all happy with the resulting piece, but it came time to go turn the damn thing in all too quickly, and honestly messing with it any more would just continue to drive me up the wall.

It's about as close as I'm going to get to the picture in my head... retouching is about the limit of my range - full on creation just doesn't work. I guess I'm fairly happy with the results of extracting my subjects from their respective backgrounds, but it just ends up looking horribly artificial. The original assignment, or at least the variant I'd chosen, was an illustration of force. I took this in the direction of potential, with the results you see.

I also got a message today that seems to infer that one of the people I love the most is getting much, much worse rather abruptly - I don't think she'd appreciate the details in a public forum, but it may be sufficient to say that I was in a horrible mood pretty much all day. Unfortunately, she's the type that doesn't discuss symptoms from day to day, and in fact hides as much as she can from friends and family. Makes it even harder on us because we never know what to think, and can only assume the worst. Perhaps that's one of those attitudes that's become the norm in America - showing weakness=failure, even if it might let those who care help, a bit.

Josh, Jen, and I had planned to take advantage of the cheap theater night to go see the new Travolta film, "From Paris with Love", but those plans feel through as they were both feeling poorly and less than energetic when the time rolled round. I get the feeling that our little group has been passing some sort of bug back and forth for the last week or so, as we've all been feeling off intermittently. In any case, the tickets won't expire any time soon and we'll just have to go in the coming week instead.

I did manage to finish one housekeeping task before bed, fleshing out the character sheet for "Dorf Underhill" for the pending DND game I'd been invited to Fridays. It's funny - it's been years since I've played a tabletop RPG, but I'm already getting a bit of a feel for my new little meat shield. Don't know if anything will end up happening in that realm tomorrow, but it won't be held up because of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment