Thursday, February 18, 2010

Daily Post (Josh) 2010-02-17

I'm quite happy with my performance on the A&P lecture quiz today. Looks to be a 15/15, according to my notes. I think having added chapter questions and the emphases on review material helped a lot. More success for the girls, too, although Rox gave me a bit of scare when she said "I missed 7" - which of course meant that she'd only missed one question, #7. Silly me.

Also finally got a chance to submit my Crater Lake article for journalism. Still getting used to the writing style, there, but it seems like each article is coming back with just a little less red.

Tank had his phone interview for a Microsoft internship today, which seemed to go very well; there was even talk of shipping him north for an in person interview, possibly. We had intended to spend the evening celebrating, but actually pretty much just stayed in watching TV and chatting about anything and everything. One of the nicer things about having him for a friend is that he draws me out, to an extent - between two introverts and a strong extrovert, we seem to be able to manage fairly constant conversation.

The late evening was a bit of an unpleasant surprise - a friend had some pretty severe issues rear their collective heads abruptly and unpleasantly, and I ended up spending the night mostly just keeping an eye on him and helping his girlfriend stay calm, as well as playing go-between for keeping his parents in the loop, whom I had not met before. Interesting way to meet people; even given the context, I found them both quite pleasant.

For all that the event may have cost him, I'm grateful that it happened. Trauma buried is like a bomb with a finicky trigger; far better to be hit in a safe place with friends than alone in a potentially dangerous environment. Perhaps he'll find some internal progress from the event, once he's had a chance to process it fully.

I'm grateful, too, that I was present. I don't know how much I actually contributed to the situation, but it was little reassuring to find how calm I was about things. I guess I have Jessie to thank for that, in a way - the lessons may have been excessively unpleasant at the time, but at least now I have some idea of the proper responses in a crisis. Guess I do have the capacity for learning, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment