Saturday, February 13, 2010

Daily Post (Josh) 2010-02-12

Good day today - A&P seemed to pass relatively quickly, and Dr. Torres got a lot of information covered without seeming to rush too much. Got my midterm back, didn't do quite as well as I'd hoped (76%), but still well enough to make my expected "B" at the end of the term a very real possibility.

The girls and I ended up heading down to Mollie's again after class, just to get off campus for a little while. As it turns out, none of us were feeling terribly hungry, nor very flush in terms of cash, so I'm afraid we ended up trading the cost of a few drinks for an hour or so in the booth. After talking things over, we've decided to expand a bit on our strategies for study, and will be adding a significant amount of material direct from the book, rather than relying primarily on the lecture, especially in view of the conglomerate final looming in our futures - since the respective teachers tend to emphasize very different sections of the text, this seems prudent.

Jen and I did end up gaming in the evening, though Tank couldn't make it and we didn't end up in the DND scenario I had prepared for. As it turns out, D20 Modern was the flavor of the day, and I have to say, it was delicious! Very strange scenario, that I'm not caught up on by any means, but it was easier than I thought to slot back into the roleplaying mindset. I think the fact that I chose to play as a somewhat naive and impulsive character helped a lot - read into that what you will.

Jason has a bit different playstyle than most of the other GMs I've worked with, choosing to treat one of the NPCs almost as his own character (or perhaps Kelly is simply an outgrowth of his persona?) and playing along with us to an extent, as well as holding the remainder of his game world together. Prior to this, and I'll admit to a bit of the same failing in my own gamemastering, most GMs haven't projected themselves so fully into the NPCs, and certainly didn't allow the NPCs on the "good" side much independence from the player's whims. He seems quite skilled at compartmentalizing for this purpose - definitely something to be admired.

In any case, the whole menagerie of dragons, spaceships, dwarves, and aliens seemed to hold together much more coherently than I would have suspected. I'm very much looking forward to next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment