Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Daily Post (Josh) 2010-01-04

Back to classes again. Journalism looks to be a bit different than I thought it would be. Our teacher is actually the sports columnist for the local Herald and News, so that'll be interesting. His oratory today wavered between encouraging and intimidating, often within the same sentence. A&P was refreshingly normal feeling - looks like we'll be hitting the brain and surrounding nerves this term, which I'm kind of looking forward to. I have kind of a premonition that they'll slot into making sense for me in the same way that physics does. We'll see how that goes.

Medical terminology on the other hand, also with Torres, was impressively amusing to start with. The class had something like 70-80 students signed up, and the classroom they stuck us in had a capacity of perhaps 20. Dr. Torres promptly decided to reclaim his A&P lecture hall for the afternoon - we'll see where we end up on Wednesday. The actual subject matter of the course seems almost impressively straightforward, perhaps thanks in part to my previous medical transcription experience. Whatever the source, I'm hoping the coursework is as easy in fact as it seems to be on first glance.

My migraine cycle continues, although it didn't really clamp down too hard until my final course of the day. Normal abatement strategies actually brought the pain level down to nearly imperceptible for most of the afternoon and evening, although aphasia and dizziness were pretty hardcore. Oh well, if this is a semi-normal cycle, I should be able to anticipate things letting up in a week or two since the cycle started in Minnesota.

Book buying for the term actually wasn't too vicious this time around, as my photography course doesn't have a text and I already have my A&P book. For the moment I'm holding off on the assigned medical terminology book, as it looks like I'll be generating nearly all of my own study materials for that anyway. We'll see what things look like when Dr. Torres actually remembers the syllabus.
On the plus side of things, I've finally caught up on processing my daily picture output - shooting nearly constantly while in Minnesota really put me behind. That said, at the current upload rate in the dorm, it still might take me a few days to get all of the pictures up. With that in mind, it's time to start posting the daily mini-blogs I started a few days ago, and throwing in placeholders for the posts that should land in between chronologically.

No comments:

Post a Comment