Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Daily Post (Josh) 2010-01-05

Traveling at low impulse today - just can't seem to get going. Didn't actually get out of bed for any real length of time until noon. Just couldn't seem to find any energy. It worked out ok, given that Tuesday means just one class (my new digital photography course), but I just felt drained the whole day.

It looks like the course will be interesting (the instructor's website is here), but the technical side of things will likely land as pretty basic, from the feel of things. We'll also be spending a not-insignificant amount of time on learning Photoshop, which I honestly feel will be a bit of a waste of time, at least from the perspective of most of our students. The package is so expensive, even as an academic license, that most of our people won't see it again outside of the classroom. On the other hand, there are any number of other programs (GIMP comes to mind) that perform the same processes, and would be as useful. I guess my beef is that he seems to be teaching the program itself, rather than the concepts that are nearly universal in editing software. Perhaps I'm judging too harshly based on a single session. Probably so.

On the positive side, the class is jam-packed full, and I think there'll be a lot of chances to learn from one another. If nothing else, I've already been able to help a few other students when they can't quite grasp the procedure he's trying to teach. Early night tonight - falling asleep in front of the screen at 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment